Skip to main content



Child-Maltreatment-Research-L (CMRL) List Serve

Database of Past CMRL Messages

Welcome to the database of past Child-Maltreatment-Research-L (CMRL) list serve messages. The table below contains all past CMRL messages (text only, no attachments) from Nov. 20, 1996 - December 22, 2017 and is updated quarterly.

Instructions: Postings are listed for browsing with the newest messages first. Click on the linked ID number to see a message. You can search the author, subject, message ID, and message content fields by entering your criteria into this search box:

Message ID: 9996
Date: 2016-05-06

Author:Marilynn Teel

Subject:Re: measures of "toxic" social networks?

Are you aware of Dr. Elizabeth Tracy's work on social network mapping? While the measure may not use the language you are specifically looking for, it is very helpful in identifying both positive and negative social relationships as well as changes in the social network over time. ~kay M. Kay Teel, PhD, LCSW Strong Start for Families 720.472.2832 On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Lisa Pion-Berlin > wrote: WE are measuring ACEs on all Parents and their Children & Youth in Parents Anonymous® and examining the impact on health and mental health concerns.. stay tuned.. also how Parents Anonymous® mitigates and prevents ACEs for these adults and their children!! Best Dr. Lisa Pion-Berlin President and Chief Executive Officer Parents Anonymous® Inc. Asking for Help is a Sign of Strength® National Parent Helpline® : CALL 1-855-4A PARENT (1-855-427-2736 ) National Certification of Parent Leaders National Center on Shared Leadership® National Coalition for Parent Advocacy in Child Protective Services Strengthening Families All Around the World, Inc. California Parent Engagement Center 250 West First Street, Suite 250 Claremont, CA 91711 Direct Line: 909-575-4211 FAX (909) 621-0614 www.parentsanonymous.org www.nationalparenthelpline.org www.sharedleadershipnetwork.org www.parentadvocacy.org www.caparentengagement.org This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately advise me by reply e-mail or by calling (909) 575-4211 and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you. From: bounce-119637727-8131158@list.cornell.edu [mailto:bounce-119637727-8131158@list.cornell.edu ] On Behalf Of Sue Foley Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 11:11 PM To: Child Maltreatment Researchers Subject: Re: measures of "toxic" social networks? Very interesting topic.. Adult parents who have high ACE scores may also be an interesting and overlapping group Sue Sue Foley B.SocStud, MA, MSW, MED, Consultant Social Worker Apologies for any typos On 10 Sep 2015, at 01:07, SANDRA T AZAR > wrote: Hi Kristin, I have pondered this issue in my own work. Social support is in the eye of the beholder and we have been getting results with appraisal type questions with various targets (looking at expectancies, problems solving in relationships and attributions of negative intent) – that is the reality does not matter but the person’s experience of their relationships. We find there are generalized biases to see all relationships as negatively toned. I have also just take the ipv type questionnaires used for couple etc. and just changed the words – taking out those that did not apply and found the links one would expect. There is a discussion of exploitation in relationships in individuals with cognitive disabilities. You might look in this literature. Sandra Sandra Azar Professor Psychology PSU From: bounce-119631667-6833833@list.cornell.edu [mailto:bounce-119631667-6833833@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Aron Shlonsky Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 7:09 AM To: Child Maltreatment Researchers Subject: Re: measures of "toxic" social networks? Not sure what you're looking for, but would peer contagion apply? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19575606 You might also think about social networks related to substance misuse. Aron Sent from my iPad On 9 Sep 2015, at 1:18 am, Kristen Slack > wrote: Hello colleagues. Can anyone point me to a measure that taps into toxic social networks? This could involve social support “drain” (as opposed to receipt) but it could also reflect social network characteristics such as sabotage, control, bullying, verbal or emotional abuse, etc. I’ve seen items like this as they relate to intimate partner violence, but never related to “friends,” family members, or other social network members. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Kristi Kristen Slack, Ph.D. School of Social Work University of Wisconsin-Madison https://socwork.wisc.edu/kristi-slack

Are you aware of Dr. Elizabeth Tracy's work on social network mapping? While the measure may not use the language you are specifically looking for, it is very helpful in identifying both positive and negative social relationships as well as changes in the social network over time. ~kay M. Kay Teel, PhD, LCSW Strong Start for Families 720.472.2832 On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Lisa Pion-Berlin > wrote: WE are measuring ACEs on all Parents and their Children & Youth in Parents Anonymous® and examining the impact on health and mental health concerns.. stay tuned.. also how Parents Anonymous® mitigates and prevents ACEs for these adults and their children!! Best Dr. Lisa Pion-Berlin President and Chief Executive Officer Parents Anonymous® Inc. Asking for Help is a Sign of Strength® National Parent Helpline® : CALL 1-855-4A PARENT (1-855-427-2736 ) National Certification of Parent Leaders National Center on Shared Leadership® National Coalition for Parent Advocacy in Child Protective Services Strengthening Families All Around the World, Inc. California Parent Engagement Center 250 West First Street, Suite 250 Claremont, CA 91711 Direct Line: 909-575-4211 FAX (909) 621-0614 www.parentsanonymous.org www.nationalparenthelpline.org www.sharedleadershipnetwork.org www.parentadvocacy.org www.caparentengagement.org This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately advise me by reply e-mail or by calling (909) 575-4211 and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you. From: bounce-119637727-8131158list.cornell.edu [mailto:bounce-119637727-8131158list.cornell.edu ] On Behalf Of Sue Foley Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 11:11 PM To: Child Maltreatment Researchers Subject: Re: measures of "toxic" social networks? Very interesting topic.. Adult parents who have high ACE scores may also be an interesting and overlapping group Sue Sue Foley B.SocStud, MA, MSW, MED, Consultant Social Worker Apologies for any typos On 10 Sep 2015, at 01:07, SANDRA T AZAR > wrote: Hi Kristin, I have pondered this issue in my own work. Social support is in the eye of the beholder and we have been getting results with appraisal type questions with various targets (looking at expectancies, problems solving in relationships and attributions of negative intent) – that is the reality does not matter but the person’s experience of their relationships. We find there are generalized biases to see all relationships as negatively toned. I have also just take the ipv type questionnaires used for couple etc. and just changed the words – taking out those that did not apply and found the links one would expect. There is a discussion of exploitation in relationships in individuals with cognitive disabilities. You might look in this literature. Sandra Sandra Azar Professor Psychology PSU From: bounce-119631667-6833833list.cornell.edu [mailto:bounce-119631667-6833833list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Aron Shlonsky Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 7:09 AM To: Child Maltreatment Researchers Subject: Re: measures of "toxic" social networks? Not sure what you're looking for, but would peer contagion apply? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19575606 You might also think about social networks related to substance misuse. Aron Sent from my iPad On 9 Sep 2015, at 1:18 am, Kristen Slack > wrote: Hello colleagues. Can anyone point me to a measure that taps into toxic social networks? This could involve social support “drain” (as opposed to receipt) but it could also reflect social network characteristics such as sabotage, control, bullying, verbal or emotional abuse, etc. I’ve seen items like this as they relate to intimate partner violence, but never related to “friends,” family members, or other social network members. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Kristi Kristen Slack, Ph.D. School of Social Work University of Wisconsin-Madison https://socwork.wisc.edu/kristi-slack