Skip to main content



Child-Maltreatment-Research-L (CMRL) List Serve

Database of Past CMRL Messages

Welcome to the database of past Child-Maltreatment-Research-L (CMRL) list serve messages. The table below contains all past CMRL messages (text only, no attachments) from Nov. 20, 1996 - March 6, 2018 and is updated quarterly.

Instructions: Postings are listed for browsing with the newest messages first. Click on the linked ID number to see a message. You can search the author, subject, message ID, and message content fields by entering your criteria into this search box:

Message ID: 8332
Date: 2009-12-24

Author:Whitney Gabriel

Subject:Re: recessions and child maltreatment

I like and read with my own kids The Most Important Rule of All by Pam Church. It is a read-aloud storybook about child sexual abuse and protection skills for use with children ages 4-8 years. Whitney Gabriel Board Member Child Molestation Research & Prevention Institute (CMRPI) 274 14th Street Oakland, CA 94612 Ph: (510) 808-0386 Fax: (510) 808-0378 wgabriel@cmrpi.org www.childmolestationprevention.org On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Sue Foley > wrote: Toni, No no is about sexual abuse prevention Regards Sue Foley B.Soc.Stud., M.A., M.S.W., M.Ed, Consultant Accredited Social Worker Sydney Australia ----- Original Message ----- From: "Toni Cavanagh Johnson" > To: "Child Maltreatment Researchers" > Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:27 PM Subject: Re: recessions and child maltreatment Thank you. I like this one, too. Are there any you like specifically for prevention of sexual abuse. Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D. 1101 Fremont Avenue, Suite 101 South Pasadena, California 91030 USA Tel: 626-799-4522 FAX: 818-790-0139 toni@tcavjohn.com www.tcavjohn.com On Dec 23, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Many, Michele wrote: "A Terrible Thing Happened" I like this one because it does not suggest a specific traumatic event. This allows the child to project their own experience onto the main character. Michele M. Many, MSW, LCSW, BACS Assistant Professor LSU Department of Psychiatry -----Original Message----- From: bounce-4826546-9198871@list.cornell.edu on behalf of Toni Cavanagh Johnson Sent: Wed 12/23/2009 10:02 AM To: Child Maltreatment Researchers Subject: Re: recessions and child maltreatment I would like to know some of your favorite books that parents can read to children (ages 4-8) to alert them to possible emotional, physical or sexual abuse. Happy Holidays to all, Toni Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D. 1101 Fremont Avenue, Suite 101 South Pasadena, California 91030 USA Tel: 626-799-4522 FAX: 818-790-0139 toni@tcavjohn.com www.tcavjohn.com On Dec 17, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Diane Miller wrote: Denise, We at NDACAN have put together a short bibliography of references related to economic conditions and child maltreatment. Here is the link to the folder in the child abuse and neglect Digital Library: canDL Economics and Maltreatment Special Collection Folder Please note: You will find canDL more useful if you switch to the APA - American Psychological Association, 6th edition view from the drop down box at the top of the page immediately after opening the link. If you do so the references will be in electronic APA style with links to full text, where possible. The availability of full-text for articles on our site is based upon the journal subscriptions of your university, business, or organization. Diane -- Diane Wach Miller, M.S.Ed., LPC Support and Acquisitions Specialist National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect Cornell University dianemiller@cornell.edu 607.255.2543 www.ndacan.cornell.edu On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Denise Hines > wrote: Hi all, Can anyone recommend some good references that show trends over time in child maltreatment as a function of economic climate? Is there any evidence that child maltreatment rates (or any form of family violence, for that matter) tend to increase during recessions such as the one we're in now? Thank you! Denise ***************************************************************************** Denise A. Hines, Ph.D. Clark University Research Assistant Professor Department of Psychology Director, Family Impact Seminars 950 Main St. Co-Director, Clark Anti-Violence Education (CAVE) Program Worcester, MA 01610 Office: Jonas Clark 346 Phone: (508) 793-7458 Fax: (508) 793-7265 Email: dhines@clarku.edu URL: www.clarku.edu/faculty/dhines *******************************************************************************

I like and read with my own kids The Most Important Rule of All by Pam Church. It is a read-aloud storybook about child sexual abuse and protection skills for use with children ages 4-8 years. Whitney Gabriel Board Member Child Molestation Research & Prevention Institute (CMRPI) 274 14th Street Oakland, CA 94612 Ph: (510) 808-0386 Fax: (510) 808-0378 wgabrielcmrpi.org www.childmolestationprevention.org On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Sue Foley > wrote: Toni, No no is about sexual abuse prevention Regards Sue Foley B.Soc.Stud., M.A., M.S.W., M.Ed, Consultant Accredited Social Worker Sydney Australia ----- Original Message ----- From: "Toni Cavanagh Johnson" > To: "Child Maltreatment Researchers" > Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:27 PM Subject: Re: recessions and child maltreatment Thank you. I like this one, too. Are there any you like specifically for prevention of sexual abuse. Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D. 1101 Fremont Avenue, Suite 101 South Pasadena, California 91030 USA Tel: 626-799-4522 FAX: 818-790-0139 tonitcavjohn.com www.tcavjohn.com On Dec 23, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Many, Michele wrote: "A Terrible Thing Happened" I like this one because it does not suggest a specific traumatic event. This allows the child to project their own experience onto the main character. Michele M. Many, MSW, LCSW, BACS Assistant Professor LSU Department of Psychiatry -----Original Message----- From: bounce-4826546-9198871list.cornell.edu on behalf of Toni Cavanagh Johnson Sent: Wed 12/23/2009 10:02 AM To: Child Maltreatment Researchers Subject: Re: recessions and child maltreatment I would like to know some of your favorite books that parents can read to children (ages 4-8) to alert them to possible emotional, physical or sexual abuse. Happy Holidays to all, Toni Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D. 1101 Fremont Avenue, Suite 101 South Pasadena, California 91030 USA Tel: 626-799-4522 FAX: 818-790-0139 tonitcavjohn.com www.tcavjohn.com On Dec 17, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Diane Miller wrote: Denise, We at NDACAN have put together a short bibliography of references related to economic conditions and child maltreatment. Here is the link to the folder in the child abuse and neglect Digital Library: canDL Economics and Maltreatment Special Collection Folder Please note: You will find canDL more useful if you switch to the APA - American Psychological Association, 6th edition view from the drop down box at the top of the page immediately after opening the link. If you do so the references will be in electronic APA style with links to full text, where possible. The availability of full-text for articles on our site is based upon the journal subscriptions of your university, business, or organization. Diane -- Diane Wach Miller, M.S.Ed., LPC Support and Acquisitions Specialist National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect Cornell University dianemillercornell.edu 607.255.2543 www.ndacan.cornell.edu On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Denise Hines > wrote: Hi all, Can anyone recommend some good references that show trends over time in child maltreatment as a function of economic climate? Is there any evidence that child maltreatment rates (or any form of family violence, for that matter) tend to increase during recessions such as the one we're in now? Thank you! Denise ***************************************************************************** Denise A. Hines, Ph.D. Clark University Research Assistant Professor Department of Psychology Director, Family Impact Seminars 950 Main St. Co-Director, Clark Anti-Violence Education (CAVE) Program Worcester, MA 01610 Office: Jonas Clark 346 Phone: (508) 793-7458 Fax: (508) 793-7265 Email: dhinesclarku.edu URL: www.clarku.edu/faculty/dhines *******************************************************************************