Skip to main content



Child-Maltreatment-Research-L (CMRL) List Serve

Database of Past CMRL Messages

Welcome to the database of past Child-Maltreatment-Research-L (CMRL) list serve messages. The table below contains all past CMRL messages (text only, no attachments) from Nov. 20, 1996 - March 6, 2018 and is updated quarterly.

Instructions: Postings are listed for browsing with the newest messages first. Click on the linked ID number to see a message. You can search the author, subject, message ID, and message content fields by entering your criteria into this search box:

Message ID: 8331
Date: 2009-12-24

Author:aron shlonsky

Subject:Re: recessions and child maltreatment

This may be of interest to folks considering school-based prevention approaches: Zwi K, Woolfenden S, Wheeler D, O'Brien T, Tait P, Williams K. School-based education programmes for the prevention of child sexual abuse. Campbell Systematic Reviews 2007:5 Available at: www.campbellcollaboration.org Toni Cavanagh Johnson wrote: > I would like to know some of your favorite books that parents can read > to children (ages 4-8) to alert them to possible emotional, physical > or sexual abuse. > > Happy Holidays to all, > > Toni > > > Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D. > 1101 Fremont Avenue, Suite 101 > South Pasadena, California 91030 > USA > Tel: 626-799-4522 > FAX: 818-790-0139 > toni@tcavjohn.com > www.tcavjohn.com > > > > > > On Dec 17, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Diane Miller wrote: > >> Denise, >> >> We at NDACAN have put together a short bibliography of references >> related to economic conditions and child maltreatment. >> >> Here is the link to the folder in the child abuse and neglect Digital >> Library: >> canDL Economics and Maltreatment Special Collection Folder >> >> >> Please note: >> >> You will find >> canDL >> more useful if you switch to the APA - American Psychological >> Association, 6th edition view from the drop down box at the top of >> the page immediately after opening the link. >> >> If you do so the references will be in electronic APA style with >> links to full text, where possible. The availability of full-text for >> articles on our site is based upon the journal subscriptions of your >> university, business, or organization. >> >> Diane >> >> >> -- >> Diane Wach Miller, M.S.Ed., LPC >> Support and Acquisitions Specialist >> National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect >> Cornell University >> dianemiller@cornell.edu >> 607.255.2543 >> www.ndacan.cornell.edu >> >> >> >> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Denise Hines > > wrote: >> >> Hi all, >> >> Can anyone recommend some good references that show trends over >> time in child maltreatment as a function of economic climate? Is >> there any evidence that child maltreatment rates (or any form of >> family violence, for that matter) tend to increase during >> recessions such as the one we're in now? >> >> Thank you! >> Denise >> >> ***************************************************************************** >> Denise A. Hines, >> Ph.D. >> Clark University >> Research Assistant >> Professor >> Department of Psychology >> Director, Family Impact >> Seminars 950 >> Main St. >> Co-Director, Clark Anti-Violence Education (CAVE) Program >> Worcester, MA 01610 >> Office: Jonas Clark >> 346 >> Phone: (508) 793-7458 >> >> Fax: (508) 793-7265 >> Email: dhines@clarku.edu >> URL: www.clarku.edu/faculty/dhines >> >> ******************************************************************************* >> >> >> >> >> >> > -- Aron Shlonsky Associate Professor Factor-Inwentash Chair in Child Welfare University of Toronto Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work 246 Bloor St. W. Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A1 Canada Phone: (416) 978-5718 Fax: (416) 978-7072 email: aron.shlonsky@utoronto.ca Keep up with the latest child welfare news: sign up for Research Watch on CECW's website at http://www.cecw-cepb.ca/researchwatch

This may be of interest to folks considering school-based prevention approaches: Zwi K, Woolfenden S, Wheeler D, O'Brien T, Tait P, Williams K. School-based education programmes for the prevention of child sexual abuse. Campbell Systematic Reviews 2007:5 Available at: www.campbellcollaboration.org Toni Cavanagh Johnson wrote: > I would like to know some of your favorite books that parents can read > to children (ages 4-8) to alert them to possible emotional, physical > or sexual abuse. > > Happy Holidays to all, > > Toni > > > Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D. > 1101 Fremont Avenue, Suite 101 > South Pasadena, California 91030 > USA > Tel: 626-799-4522 > FAX: 818-790-0139 > tonitcavjohn.com > www.tcavjohn.com > > > > > > On Dec 17, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Diane Miller wrote: > >> Denise, >> >> We at NDACAN have put together a short bibliography of references >> related to economic conditions and child maltreatment. >> >> Here is the link to the folder in the child abuse and neglect Digital >> Library: >> canDL Economics and Maltreatment Special Collection Folder >> >> >> Please note: >> >> You will find >> canDL >> more useful if you switch to the APA - American Psychological >> Association, 6th edition view from the drop down box at the top of >> the page immediately after opening the link. >> >> If you do so the references will be in electronic APA style with >> links to full text, where possible. The availability of full-text for >> articles on our site is based upon the journal subscriptions of your >> university, business, or organization. >> >> Diane >> >> >> -- >> Diane Wach Miller, M.S.Ed., LPC >> Support and Acquisitions Specialist >> National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect >> Cornell University >> dianemillercornell.edu >> 607.255.2543 >> www.ndacan.cornell.edu >> >> >> >> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Denise Hines > > wrote: >> >> Hi all, >> >> Can anyone recommend some good references that show trends over >> time in child maltreatment as a function of economic climate? Is >> there any evidence that child maltreatment rates (or any form of >> family violence, for that matter) tend to increase during >> recessions such as the one we're in now? >> >> Thank you! >> Denise >> >> ***************************************************************************** >> Denise A. Hines, >> Ph.D. >> Clark University >> Research Assistant >> Professor >> Department of Psychology >> Director, Family Impact >> Seminars 950 >> Main St. >> Co-Director, Clark Anti-Violence Education (CAVE) Program >> Worcester, MA 01610 >> Office: Jonas Clark >> 346 >> Phone: (508) 793-7458 >> >> Fax: (508) 793-7265 >> Email: dhinesclarku.edu >> URL: www.clarku.edu/faculty/dhines >> >> ******************************************************************************* >> >> >> >> >> >> > -- Aron Shlonsky Associate Professor Factor-Inwentash Chair in Child Welfare University of Toronto Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work 246 Bloor St. W. Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A1 Canada Phone: (416) 978-5718 Fax: (416) 978-7072 email: aron.shlonskyutoronto.ca Keep up with the latest child welfare news: sign up for Research Watch on CECW's website at http://www.cecw-cepb.ca/researchwatch