Skip to main content



Child-Maltreatment-Research-L (CMRL) List Serve

Browse or Search All Past CMRL Messages

Welcome to the database of past Child-Maltreatment-Research-L (CMRL) list serve messages (10,000+). The table below contains all past CMRL messages (text only, no attachments) from Nov. 20, 1996 - June 11, 2018 and is updated quarterly.

Instructions: Postings are listed for browsing with the newest messages first. Click on the linked ID number to see a message. You can search the author, subject, message ID, and message content fields by entering your criteria into this search box:

Message ID: 8168
Date: 2009-05-26

Author:Toni Cavanagh Johnson

Subject:Re: Are Therapists Potentially Dangerous?

I echo Lisa's sentiments also. There is nothing to sensationalize

about the things we used to do. Yet, this is an important training

issue.



My thoughts run more to personal issues of therapists getting in the

way of therapy, e.g. philosophies, theories, money, politics, our

feelings, our needs, our desires, our longings, our biases, "un"

common sense, poor training in basic therapeutic interventions, etc.





Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D.

1101 Fremont Avenue, Suite 101

South Pasadena, California 91030

USA

Tel: 626-799-4522

FAX: 818-790-0139

toni@tcavjohn.com

www.tcavjohn.com









On May 23, 2009, at 7:56 PM, Faller, Kathleen wrote:



> Toni,

> I echo Lisa's sentiments. I would add that there is still much to be

> learned about evidence-based treatment and case-management in child

> sexual abuse and children with sexual behavior problems (I am

> assuming you are addressing practice in your area of expertise).

> Many of our colleagues have to treat complex cases where there is no

> evidence to guide them, or the evidence only addresses a small part

> of the problems that need to be addressed.

> Kathleen Coulborn Faller, Ph.D., A.C.S.W., L.M.S.W.

> Marion Elizabeth Blue Professor of Children and Families

> Director of the Family Assessment Clinic

> School of Social Work

> The University of Michigan

> 1080 S. University

> Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1106

> 734 998 9700

>

> kcfaller@umich.edu

>

> The information contained in this message may be privileged and

> confidential and is intended only for the use of the named

> recipients. This communication is protected by federal law, both the

> Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and 18

> United States Code Section 2511. If the reader of this message is

> not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have

> received this in error and that any review, dissemination,

> distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If

> you have received this communication in error, please notify me

> immediately by phone (collect, if long distance) and destroy the

> message as you would confidential information

> ________________________________________

> From: bounce-3951502-6833631@list.cornell.edu [bounce-3951502-6833631@list.cornell.edu

> ] On Behalf Of lfontes@rcn.com [lfontes@rcn.com]

> Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:16 AM

> To: Child Maltreatment Researchers

> Subject: Re: Are Therapists Potentially Dangerous?

>

> This feels like a really delicate topic to me, and it would be

> CRUCIAL to distinguish between practices performed in the 80's and

> early 90's when we didn't really know what we were doing in

> therapies for abused children & adults, and what is being done now.

> I could see an appeal to sensationalize "bad therapy" based on

> practices which--one would hope--are no longer being used.

>

> TOni, I certainly hope you'll provide this context in terms of date

> & knowledge. I'm sure you will.

>

> Respectfully,

>

> Lisa Fontes, Ph.D.

>

> ---- Original message ----

>> Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 13:44:20 +0100

>> From: Peter Dale

>> Subject: Re: Are Therapists Potentially Dangerous?

>> To: "Child Maltreatment Researchers"
>> >

>>

>> Toni,

>> Your might like to dig out my 1999 book: Dale, P.

>> (1999) Adults Abused as Children. Experiences of

>> Counselling and Psychotherapy. London: Sage

>> publications

>> This reported my PhD research project in this area,

>> and includes some graphic examples of very damaging

>> 'therapeutic' practice with adults who were abused

>> as children.

>> Regards,

>> Peter

>> Dr Peter Dale & Associates Ltd

>> Independent social work, counselling, training,

>> research, expert witness services

>> Phone: (01424) 424504

>> Mobile: 07903 523 877

>> Email: info@peterdale.co.uk

>> Website: www.peterdale.co.uk

>> On 22 May 2009, at 01:47, Toni Cavanagh Johnson

>> wrote:

>>

>> I am preparing a talk and an article on

>> therapists. My thesis is: Are therapists

>> potentially

>> dangerous?

>>

>> I have examples from my own mistakes and those I

>> have seen with

>> others. Do any of you have concerns about the

>> efficacy of

>> therapists? Are you willing to share with me the

>> concerns? If I were

>> to use the example in a lecture or paper, it would

>> be anonymous.

>>

>> Toni

>> Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D.

>> 1101 Fremont Avenue, Suite 101

>> South Pasadena, California 91030

>> USA

>> Tel: 626-799-4522

>> FAX: 818-790-0139

>> toni@tcavjohn.com

>> www.tcavjohn.com







I echo Lisa's sentiments also. There is nothing to sensationalize

about the things we used to do. Yet, this is an important training

issue.



My thoughts run more to personal issues of therapists getting in the

way of therapy, e.g. philosophies, theories, money, politics, our

feelings, our needs, our desires, our longings, our biases, "un"

common sense, poor training in basic therapeutic interventions, etc.





Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D.

1101 Fremont Avenue, Suite 101

South Pasadena, California 91030

USA

Tel: 626-799-4522

FAX: 818-790-0139

tonitcavjohn.com

www.tcavjohn.com









On May 23, 2009, at 7:56 PM, Faller, Kathleen wrote:



> Toni,

> I echo Lisa's sentiments. I would add that there is still much to be

> learned about evidence-based treatment and case-management in child

> sexual abuse and children with sexual behavior problems (I am

> assuming you are addressing practice in your area of expertise).

> Many of our colleagues have to treat complex cases where there is no

> evidence to guide them, or the evidence only addresses a small part

> of the problems that need to be addressed.

> Kathleen Coulborn Faller, Ph.D., A.C.S.W., L.M.S.W.

> Marion Elizabeth Blue Professor of Children and Families

> Director of the Family Assessment Clinic

> School of Social Work

> The University of Michigan

> 1080 S. University

> Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1106

> 734 998 9700

>

> kcfallerumich.edu

>

> The information contained in this message may be privileged and

> confidential and is intended only for the use of the named

> recipients. This communication is protected by federal law, both the

> Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and 18

> United States Code Section 2511. If the reader of this message is

> not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have

> received this in error and that any review, dissemination,

> distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If

> you have received this communication in error, please notify me

> immediately by phone (collect, if long distance) and destroy the

> message as you would confidential information

> ________________________________________

> From: bounce-3951502-6833631list.cornell.edu [bounce-3951502-6833631list.cornell.edu

> ] On Behalf Of lfontesrcn.com [lfontesrcn.com]

> Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:16 AM

> To: Child Maltreatment Researchers

> Subject: Re: Are Therapists Potentially Dangerous?

>

> This feels like a really delicate topic to me, and it would be

> CRUCIAL to distinguish between practices performed in the 80's and

> early 90's when we didn't really know what we were doing in

> therapies for abused children & adults, and what is being done now.

> I could see an appeal to sensationalize "bad therapy" based on

> practices which--one would hope--are no longer being used.

>

> TOni, I certainly hope you'll provide this context in terms of date

> & knowledge. I'm sure you will.

>

> Respectfully,

>

> Lisa Fontes, Ph.D.

>

> ---- Original message ----

>> Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 13:44:20 +0100

>> From: Peter Dale

>> Subject: Re: Are Therapists Potentially Dangerous?

>> To: "Child Maltreatment Researchers"
>> >

>>

>> Toni,

>> Your might like to dig out my 1999 book: Dale, P.

>> (1999) Adults Abused as Children. Experiences of

>> Counselling and Psychotherapy. London: Sage

>> publications

>> This reported my PhD research project in this area,

>> and includes some graphic examples of very damaging

>> 'therapeutic' practice with adults who were abused

>> as children.

>> Regards,

>> Peter

>> Dr Peter Dale & Associates Ltd

>> Independent social work, counselling, training,

>> research, expert witness services

>> Phone: (01424) 424504

>> Mobile: 07903 523 877

>> Email: infopeterdale.co.uk

>> Website: www.peterdale.co.uk

>> On 22 May 2009, at 01:47, Toni Cavanagh Johnson

>> wrote:

>>

>> I am preparing a talk and an article on

>> therapists. My thesis is: Are therapists

>> potentially

>> dangerous?

>>

>> I have examples from my own mistakes and those I

>> have seen with

>> others. Do any of you have concerns about the

>> efficacy of

>> therapists? Are you willing to share with me the

>> concerns? If I were

>> to use the example in a lecture or paper, it would

>> be anonymous.

>>

>> Toni

>> Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D.

>> 1101 Fremont Avenue, Suite 101

>> South Pasadena, California 91030

>> USA

>> Tel: 626-799-4522

>> FAX: 818-790-0139

>> tonitcavjohn.com

>> www.tcavjohn.com