If you have an existing 3-year Restricted Release license which will expire soon or has expired, please follow these instructions to obtain a replacement license valid for another three years.
Stage 1: Submit an updated NSCAW Restricted Release Application and Data Protection Plan
- Submit your contact information through our on-line form.
We will ship the data electronically and we will need your phone number to tell you something called the 'established password' to download the data.
- Download the Application for Restricted Data (MS Word).
Rename this file so it begins with your last name, first initial, and the date in YYYY-MM-DD format (example: Joe, J 2015-01-27_Application_for_Restricted_Data.docx.).
- Download the Data Protection Plan (MS Word).
Rename this file with your last name, first initial, the acronym DPP, and the date in YYYY-MM-DD format (example: Doe, J DPP 2015-01-27.docx).
- Complete the forms in items 2 and 3 electronically. Leave them in .docx (MS Word) format and e-mail them to NDACAN@cornell.edu
Stage 2: In 5-10 working days you will receive an e-mail confirmation from NDACAN that your Application and Data Protection Plan are approved. You must then send NDACAN the following items:
- One completed NSCAW Restricted Data License (PDF).
- If an investigator has research staff that will use the NSCAW data, complete and submit a Research Staff Form (PDF) for members of the research team besides the Investigator. Research staff must be formally affiliated with the Investigator's institution (student, staff, faculty, etc.). The Investigator fills out the investigator section of the form electronically, checks the signature box, and saves the form with the title in the format "LastName, FirstInitial NSCAW Staff LastNameofStaff yyyy-mm-dd.pdf" (e.g. Doe, J NSCAW Staff Smith 2016-04-30). The investigator emails the form to the staff person and the staff persons fills out their section, saves the form, and emails it as an attachment to NDACAN@cornell.edu with a cc to the investigator. Use additional copies of this forms for additional Research Staff. Very Important: Before receiving the Research Data, the research staff must submit complete contact information on our on-line web form through this link: http://www.ndacan.cornell.edu/about/about-join-our-mailing-list.cfm
- A notice, in PDF format, from your Institutional Review Board (IRB) showing that it has approved your project or found it exempt from review.
Email items 1-3 to NDACAN@cornell.edu with the words "NSCAW License Materials" in the subject line.
Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
To receive the download link, make sure that mail from "email@example.com" is not blocked by your junk mail filters. Add "firstname.lastname@example.org" to the trusted contacts in your e-mail system now.
- Securely erase the data from your hard disk(s). You can download, install, and run an open-source secure data removal program for Windows such as Eraser.
- Write an e-mail to NDACAN@cornell.edu stating that you have completed your research with the data and have securely erased the data from all hard disks.
- If you received NSCAW Restricted data on CD's, mail them via a traceable shipping to:
National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect
Attention: Data Orders
Beebe Hall - BCTR
Ithaca NY, 14853